Build a business you can manage from Mauritius
A self-sustaining business requires more than Zoom and a cloud system. It requires a fundamental change to almost every aspect of the business. The entire structure should be directed towards self-sustainment. The basic process is:
- The owners reflect on what gives them congruence. Do you want to be a business owner or work for yourself? Are you ready to cede control, empower and train your team to do what you traditionally did?
- Identify what must change for you to be less involved in the daily operations of the business?
- Prepare your team to respond positively to the added responsibility.
- Build processes and systems that work without the owner’s intervention.
- Set measurable goals to ensure the business will not only sustain itself but prosper.
- Practice and experiment to instil confidence.
We often hear that the owner has a unique set of skills and experience that cannot be removed without consequence. This is presented as the reason why the owner cannot be less involved. Sadly it is inevitable that the owner will at some stage no longer be there. Pavlo Phitidis write in his brilliant book Sweat Scale Sell (Aurik)about owners who try to sell their business but cannot get a buyer because no one is interested simply because the business cannot function without the owner. Even worse, the owner passes away and leave a business to their loved ones that will soon show itself as effectively useless.
Prosperis – we help companies assess their skills and choose a new direction which utilizes the talents of the team and resources most productively.